PROTECT YOUR FAMILY BY SECURING YOUR HOME WIFI NETWORK.
May 27, 2015 Leave a comment
A WIRELESS ROUTER IS AN OPEN DOOR TO YOUR HOME. PROTECT YOUR FAMILY BY SECURING YOUR HOME WIFI.
Most people use a wireless router so they can use their handheld devices. Wireless routers are great, but there are some very important reasons they need to be locked down with strong passwords:
- An open WiFi router or sharing your router password allows others to do illegal things that will be traced with you. Direct Communications cooperates with law enforcement authorities to track down internet sexual predators and other criminals. If the predator is parked near your house using your WiFi signal from their car, it appears to us to be coming from inside your home. What will happen is that the authorities may kick down your front door and arrest somebody in your family for illegal activity like child pornography. (This has really happened to otherwise innocent people who let strangers use their WiFi.)
- Outsiders can use your WiFi to attack others or to hack into other’s computers and accounts. With a strong antenna they can be a half mile away and still use your WiFi. Again, the activity will register as happening inside your home.
- A sophisticated hacker can take over your computers in your home and make them repositories and servers for child porn, stolen credit card numbers or any of a plethora of illegal information. You would not even know it was happening in many cases.
- An open router allows outsiders to actually see what web pages and other content that you are looking at.
- Allowing a friend or neighbor to use your WiFi connection and your internet account is a crime called “Theft of Service”. You are collaborating in this theft and jeopardizing your own service as well.
We can help you protect and secure your home network. Call Direct Communications at 801 789 4999 and ask for tech support. Our technicians can help you to lock down your WiFi router with a strong password so that you are safe